Bollaert-Delelis stadium

It has an exceptional architecture with 4 large stands, what are open and straight. The stadium is given its reputation in French football thanks to its warm and colorful audience...

Bollaert-Delelis from the air (click on the picture to enlarge it)

On this picture, taken in direction to the twin terrils of Loos-en-Gohelle (the biggest ones in Europe), you can see on the foreground Delacourt stand, opposite Trannin stand. On the left, next to the railroad Lens-Dunkerque, you can see Lepagnot stand with its official entrance. On the other side, Marek-Louis stand, hidden by Delacourt stand, which is the typical stand for supporters, could be refurnished in the future.

Welcome to Sang & Or’s!

The stadium has today an overall capacity of 38 223 seats. It has been for a long time with more than 50000 seats the biggest stadium in France. In February 1992, during the Lens-Marseille match, we recorded 48912 persons in the stadium.

It is located in a city of 36000 people; the stadium could easily welcome the whole population. In spite of being a small city, Lens welcomed Football teams for the world cup. We could somehow remember that our region in the fourth in France with 2,500 000 inhabitants within 50 kilometers including Lille. (Plus 6,700 000 inhabitants in 100 kilometers in the suburbs) North and straights of hover include more than 4 million inhabitants.

Bollaert-Delelis stadium is like a cathedral in which every people’s heart beats

The stadium was inaugurated in 1932, and since then, many matches have been played. Inspired of its old age, the stadium in still one of the most modern for comfort, safety for the public, the club’s partners, journalists and sportsmen.


Whole capacity: 38 223 seats
Lights: 432 000 W
Digital display: 2 big screens (40m²) located at the corner of Trannin-Lepagnot and Marek-Delacourt stands
Security digital video: 40 video cameras
   Field surface area: 105 m x 68 m = 7140 m²
Whole grass area: 9 510 m²
Parking spacer (unside the stadium perimeter): 190
Parking spacer (outside the stadium perimeter): 1500

The stands layout

Track record


Racing club of Lens signed a lease of 50 years with the city of Lens. It gives to the Racing club of Lens the status of owner of the stadium, which allows it to manage freely its logistics.

Who was Felix Bollaert?

Félix Bollaert

Felix Bollaert (1855-1936) came from a rich family from the North of France. He arrived in Lens at the age of one year old. This father, Edouard was the chairman of the board of the Lens Mines (he gave his name to one of the road in Lens).

He studied very well at school and went to the prestigious school Polytechnique in France. Felix was the manager of the sales Department for the city of Lens. During the WWI, he is commander of the artillery and for his exemplary behavior was granted the Medal of Honor legion and was commander of the United Kingdom.

In 1922, he succeeded his father. His top priority was the re-building of the city of Lens. He also favored the revival of music companies, port companies and military buildings.
Felix Bollaert married Miss Marthe, daughter of an MP. Together, they created several foundations. He died in 1936. His name was given to the mine 13bis and to the stadium which had been built 2 years before.

Who was Andre Delelis?

André Delelis

André Delelis (1924-2012) was mayor of Lens from 1966 to 1998, Member of Parliament from 1967 to 1981 before being Minister of Trade and Handicrafts from 1981 to 1983 and senator from 1983 to 1992.

His passion and commitment to the "Sang et Or" remain intact until the end of his life.

In 1968, confronted the disengagement of "Houillières", he have save the Racing and allowed the city of Lens to become the owner of the stadium that bears now his name.

Photos stadium : Cardete Huet Architectes & Atelier Ferret Architectures